Senior Technical Consultant
Take primary responsibility for multifamily & residential building science and related inspections, allowing the business owner/CEO to focus on business development activities and explore new business models. This is an outstanding opportunity for the Senior Technical Consultant to grow in his/her building science knowledge and work experience.
Job assignments will consist of identifying solutions to comfort issues, indoor air quality concerns and energy-efficiency problems. The Senior Technical Consultant will function primarily as an Energy Rater, and shall use the house-as-a-system philosophy as set forth by RESNET (Residential Energy Services Network). This involves a comprehensive knowledge of building science principles, theories and concepts necessary to complete projects, as well as resolve technical and procedural problems.
From time to time, the Consultant shall also function as an Energy Auditor, which involves performing certain tests, such as infrared camera inspections (IR), blower door testing, and combustion appliance zone testing (CAZ).
The Senior Technical Consultant must be able to clearly communicate the benefits of taking action and installing the measures necessary to achieve the predicted energy savings.
Internally, the Senior Technical Consultant will interact with the business owner/CEO and other staff in the areas of sales, marketing, scheduling and accounting. Externally, the Consultant will have face-to-face contact and interaction with builders/developers, architects, code officials, new/remodel construction subcontractors, and home owners.
Key Responsibilities and Contribution Areas:
The Senior Technical Consultant will:
- Conduct energy ratings and residential/commercial energy assessments that:
- Identify energy conservation improvement opportunities;
- Include complete recommendations for energy efficiency measures to be completed by our preferred improvement contractors including, but not limited to, insulation, air sealing, HVAC replacements, and maintenance requirements; and,
- Produce RESNET compliant energy ratings and accurate customer energy reports
- Determine the underlying issues in poor building performance, and recommend
- improvement/changes by applying technical knowledge to problems and issues while following procedures.
- Perform work without a great deal of direction, independently determining the objectives of the assignment, and identifying the proper methods and procedures on new assignments.
- From time to time, function as a Project Manager and lead/direct the work of other contributors.
- Establish and maintain a collaborative work environment and team attitude with all
- internal and external contacts.
- Represent the company in a professional manner at all times.
The following technical skills and/or capabilities are required:
- RESNET (Residential Energy Services Network) Home Energy Rater certification
- A minimum of two (2) years in construction trades or related professional field (e.g.,
- HVAC, Architecture) and/or formal education in a construction-related field
- Ability to perform air leakage tests with blower-door equipment using Techtite software,
- and operate duct blasting equipment using Techblast software
- Ability or aptitude to operate a carbon monoxide detector, Truflo airflow measuring
- equipment, Flow-hood airflow measuring equipment, combustion analysis equipment and
- an infrared camera
- Must have familiarity with downloading and performing basic manipulation of digital
- photos, and accurately interpret IR images
- Ability to satisfactorily learn and accurately complete field sheets, as well as required reports which detail potential problem areas and recommended solutions The following technical skills and/or capabilities are desired:
- BPI (Building Performance Institute) Building Analyst certification
- Familiarity or experience with programs such as Energy Star, Indoor Air Plus, Water
- Sense, Builders Challenge and LEED-H
- A High School education or GED equivalent is required
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college is preferred
- Proficiency in MS Windows, Word, Internet Explorer, Outlook and Excel is required
- Professional, interpersonal communication and collaborative skills are required
- The ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing is essential
- Must be comfortable encouraging home/building builders/owners to undertake specific energy saving measures that have been recommended
- The ability to explain rebates, loans and tax credits for energy efficiency improvements that may be available is also required
- Must possess a personal vehicle that can be used to cover the assigned territory (up to approximately 100 miles from company office); mileage reimbursement will be provided
- A clean driving record is required; no felony convictions are allowed
- Must be able to lift thirty-five pounds (35lbs)
- Must have the physical ability to inspect tight areas, attics, crawl spaces, hatch doors, etc.
Salary will be commensurate with experience, and competitive within the energy rater/building analyst industry.
How to apply:
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
To download this Job Description click here.